Saturday, July 21, 2012

Body Movin'.

In the last couple of years, much to my glee, Charlottetown has installed some roundabouts. You might know them as rotaries or traffic circles. Like my post on revolving doors, there are practical and environmental implications.

I flippin' love roundabouts. I am a big fan. Nothing moves traffic like a roundabout. They cut down on idling, unlike traffic lights. Charlottetown is notorious for having a surfeit of traffic lights. I've heard that truckers hate the city, because they have so many gears, and it takes forever to get back up to speed.

(I am convinced that in about ten years' time, a scandal will come to light showing that politicians on PEI held stock in a traffic light production company. They're lining their pockets as we speak, punctuating our streets, all under the guise of traffic safety. Mark my words.)

I learned how to use roundabouts when I lived in England. Driving all backwardsy, of course. Anyhow, here on the Island, I just have to scream at people who cannot seem to understand how to use them.

Here are the only rules:

*When you're in the circle, you have the right-of-way.
*When you're entering the circle, yield to those in the circle, because THEY HAVE THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!!!

Something Prince Edward Island drivers have not cottoned on to is that you have to treat roundabouts like any other intersection and indicate your intention. If you're turning left or right at the roundabout, let the drivers around you know with your indicators, and also indicate when you're leaving the roundabout, too. Wikipedia has a great animated use-of-roundabout guide, complete with indicator use.

1 comment:

DavidS said...

That Wiki animation is amazing!

Another thing to remember for the faint of heart - once in the roundabout, if you miss your exit, get confused or just like wild rides, you can always circle until you feel comfortable with your decision to exit.