Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Recurring Nightmare.

Get ready to share my terror.

One of my classes is online through Athabasca. For the tests, we have an hour-and-a-half to do 25 multiple choice questions and two essay questions. Good timing, actually - I budget about half an hour on each essay. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

No. I make it difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

Because I'm afraid of submitting an unfinished answer by mistake, I write the essay questions out in Word and then cut-and-paste them into the Athabasca fields. Last weekend, with 8 minutes left on the clock, I highlighted the text and instead of cutting, I hit paste by mistake, replacing what I had just written with the first essay I wrote. I scrambled together a taciturn essay which was less my style and more what you'd hear out of a Speak & Spell.

Last night I sat down to write another test, and with 7 (!) minutes on the clock this time, I did the same bleedin' thing!!! I crapped out another replacement essay, but unlike the last one that just had facts and no style, this one was simply shitty. I submitted it with a note for the TA, explaining what happened, although I suspect that since it happened twice in one week, he might think something is fishy. I would. (Damn on-line courses!)

Anyhow, this morning, in the light of day, I didn't think of something: why didn't I just hit the undo button? I was writing in Word, for Pete's sake! Word is a cozy little nest for me - I've been using it quite deftly for over a decade. Why the hell didn't I think about the undo button? I suspect it was the blood pressure spike, me being unable to see through the wordcloud of expletives I created, or the fraction-of-a-second panic attack I had.

Sigh.

I wrote this whole thing in the Blogger field.

2 comments:

H. said...

If you ever paste by accident, you can usually hit ctrl-z to undo - or doesn't that work with the online stuff?

I'm teaching an online course this term, and the students are in constant panic. It's death by frantic email here. :(

David S. said...

Oh m'nerves! That sounds like an actual nightmare, not something that would happen, but I totally understand. I feel your pain.