Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Portmanteaux.

Just a little light-hearted note, since it seems all I want to write about these days is deeply divisive:

I love portmanteaux. A portmanteau is a word made up of two words crammed together. Really common examples are "smog" and "workaholic."

I like the ones that are like "smog" the most - the ones which blend together seamlessly because they share one sound. I was proud of myself a few days ago when I dubbed the rash on my neck my "neckzema." Ah... wordplay releases endorphins. That feels good.

While I love the idea of Movember and applaud its purpose (and facial hair), it is not a good portmanteau. Moustache begins with "must" sound and November's beginning rhymes with "cove," so it's not great, unless you just say that the blend is just the very first sound of moustache, and then it's just a weak blend.

(Anyhow, that's been sticking in my craw for the last 3 weeks.)

Right. Off to statistics class. Off to crunch numbers. Imaginary, imprecise numbers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a handsome moustached man! Thanks for bringing attention to Mike's donation page Fern. Can't wait for December.
Marilyn