Thursday, November 04, 2010

Hot Downward Dog.

I've been trying out hot yoga this month. There is a studio in town that offers a $40 month-long unlimited package for new clients. Since each session is $16, I'll have saved money if I go three times, so why not? I must have to give it that many tries before I can really know if I like it or not anyway.

Well, hot yoga is the freshest brand of hippie hell. It's also awesome. I'm pretty torn about it. The yoga itself is pretty elementary, but doing it in a room set to 32 celsius.

Within one minute, sweat is pouring off me. My pigtails are dripping, my eyes are stinging with salt, and there's no grip left in my sweaty palms.


If you have to ask if this is a picture of me, you don't know me very well.


In my first session I had to step out of the room for a while because I felt like if I didn't I might pass out. I was down in child's pose and couldn't get a decent breath of air, even if I turned my head. It felt like I was breathing in and out of a shoebox. Really, I was probably just shorting out my body's ability to maintain homeostasis because the air in the room was likely nearing body temperature.

I'm not sure if it's as good as a workout as people might think. I suspect we think it's a good workout because of all the sweating, and usually, sweating means good activity, but it's there somewhat artificially.

I don't buy all the "sweat out your toxins" stuff. I'm pretty sure sweat is just water and some salts and some other trace minerals.

This isn't to say it's not beneficial at all. It is a good activity, yoga, and being all warm and cozy and sweaty isn't exactly unpleasant, but I don't see the heat as essential. It's a good novelty, I think.

I've had a cold the last few days so I haven't been back in over a week. I want to be able to take a good deep breath without coughing before I head back into that workout.

No comments: