Sunday, July 18, 2010

"Up North."

Earlier this week my good friend T invited me up to his family's cottage. I packed up my ukulele and my textbooks and took off.

It really is nice to get out of the city. Although I don't have to leave the house a lot these days, the heat is getting really oppressive. It's been a couple of weeks now that we've had highs of high-20s/low 30s with insane humidexes. Our house is fairly cool, thanks mostly to an enormous maple tree out back that partially shades us. Still, when the thermostat reaches around 27 and my brain starts to cook, I cave and put on the AC.

Well, it was nice for a couple of days to be on a lake with the breeze and be able to go for a dip. I even got a little bit of a sunburn. This shouldn't be a total shock to anyone who knows me and my lilywhite ass, but it might be surprising since I usually have a slow IV drip of SPF 60.

I guess I didn't have to take my vitamin D tablets that day.

So, I have one more week before my next Physiology exam. It's on the respiratory and renal systems. Both are very interesting, but I will eat my hat if I have to know the solute filtration rate of a kid with a speech impediment. "So, I hear you have a lateral lisp, there, Timmy. If you can just pee in this cup, we can start your session!" Most of the other systems I can see connections, and of course renal heath is inextricably linked to overall health, but in my selfish SLP-prep mind, it's hard to make connections.

Off to start my day. Happy summer, everyone!

No comments: