Thursday, April 29, 2010

Fooled Again.

I happened to turn on "The Blues Brothers" last week and saw Ray Charles et al performing "Shake a Tail Feather." I had forgotten about it all together. Here it is:



Only last week, I found this Hanson video. Yes, you read right: HANSON VIDEO. I loved it. While it was a little dance mob-y, which I'm getting a little tired of, there was something a little organic about it, like how you can hear the audio of the dance, i.e. foot scuffs.

Watch:
Thinking 'Bout Somethin'

HANSON | MySpace Music Videos


So is Hanson cool because they payed homage to the cool movie "The Blues Brothers," or lame because they couldn't do something cool on their own?

I found this video because Weird Al tweeted about it. I think he directed it, and yes, he's in the video too. Want to waste 2 hours? Go to YouTube and rediscover how brilliant Weird Al's videos are. Al dressed as a Padawan? Nerd boner!

I am a fan of homage. Hell, I follow Weird Al's tweets, for goodness sake! Also, most of you know about my "Shawn of the Dead" devotion, the ultimate zombie movie homage.

The difference between homage and ripping off is if there's respect; a tribute paid. Ripping off is just capitalizing on someone else's success.

No comments: