Monday, March 01, 2010

Cabin Fever.

Once again, I'd like to point out one of the most frustrating parts of unemployment: having lots of free time but no money. Let me fill you in on why this frustration is particularly irritating to me at the moment.

A habit of mine is to check the weather at home, and also where my sister lives, just out of benign curiosity. For some reason, though, in January, my eyes began to wander to the forecast for Honolulu.

For weeks (and now going on months), and I mean without fail, the high in Honolulu has been between 25 and 27 degrees Celsius and partly cloudy.

Meanwhile, there are days here that I wonder if I can get away with wearing my flannel pajama pants under my jeans for another layer of warmth.*

Again, because it turns out I enjoy grinding in the salt in my cash-poor/time-wealthy wounds, I started shopping around to see how much it would cost me to get to Hawaii. I found a round-trip flight for about $670. That seems incredibly reasonable!

Sigh.

Going to Hawaii is becoming a recurring dream. Now that the US dollar is better and I am marginally more comfortable with the political state there, I want to go, take surfing lessons, and see the workshop where I will buy a new ukulele.

I will a) be burnt to a crisp, b) be in traction from my surfing lessons, and c) have shredded and blistered fingertips from my obsessive uke playing.

It sounds like paradise.

*The answer is a resounding NO. There is barely enough room for my legs in my jeans. Some might argue there is not enough room for my legs in my jeans.

No comments: