Friday, September 18, 2009

Our House, In The Middle Of A Bog.

We've been having some problems with our property management company, who manage our house for our landlord. They're being dicks, to be blunt.

I got back from the East Coast, sad and homesick, to find the downstairs toilet and shower ebbing and flowing with sewage. Finally, the toilet filled and overflowed. I was very upset because I didn't want to be back in Toronto at all, and then the room attached to my bedroom was swimming in poop et al.

(If you feel like barfing, click for an enlargement.)



After a couple of visits, the plumbing was fixed. Then, it was a struggle to get the property management company to pay for the clean-up. Here were some of the comments (and these are quotes):

"Our personnel would not have left raw sewage on the floor. Any chance you could wash it down and chemically sterilize the area. (Javex)"

"Don't know how to answer without potentially alienating you. We could send someone in to clean up, but is it really necessary? You require chemicals and a brush."

"The residue is the by-product of the residence and should not present a health hazard." (As if I'm finicky about cleaning up strangers' shit, but if it's my housemates', it's alright.)

And this one, which had me spitting mad:

"My wife and I raised 4 children and cleaning up sewage was the least of our worries or endeavours. Yes, we have a difference of opinion but that's what makes the world go round."

As if because I don't have children my problems are petty! Ooh, I don't think I've ever been as mad. Why bring that up?

To that, I was terse in my response because after about 10 emails back and forth, he had not once answered my repeated question as to whether they would pay for the cleaning.

Me:

"Thank you for your response. Can you assure me, as per my previous email, that [the property management company] will pay for [the cleaners'] work?"

This was his answer:

"Reluctantly, yes."

What a dick.

Either it's their responsibility or not. It's yes or no. It shouldn't have been such a bitchy little hassle.

No comments: