Sunday, July 12, 2009

And Away We Go.

When I see a good movie, I get this rush of creativity. It makes me want to run home and write and draw.

Away We Go had that effect on me. I haven't seen such a winning movie is ages.

It's about a couple, played by John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph, who are expecting their first child but find themselves entirely unfettered. In a quest to find a new home, they visit what few friends and family they have.

What they find is a dubious cavalcade of parenting practices that have them going from asking themselves if they are fuckups to asking if they are the only normal people left on earth.

Their love and intimacy is so sweet and real, it makes me ache for a relationship like thiers.

It's nice to see Krasinski away from "The Office." He plays Burt. He is a real candidate for the Husband List, but he doesn't have a big enough portfolio of work to be admitted just yet. He does grow a good beard. A good beard. His beard and this movie work in his favour.

Maya Rodolph is great in this movie. She's always cited as excellent in this movie's reviews, and I have to agree. She is a soft-spoken, thoughtful Verona.

This movie has the potential to be too quirky, but it isn't. Its charms are balanced between funny and touching. Some of the stories told in this film are so bittersweet. I love bittersweet.

I don't think Away We Go is playing in a lot of theatres, but if you have a chance to see it, I would highly recommend it.

No comments: