Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Remake Of "The Shining"?

I recently re-read "Pride and Prejudice."

It makes me so happy. It's funny as all get-out, achingly romantic, and bittersweet. It had been about 4-5 years since I last read it, so I needed some help from my go-to Austen guru, Jax.

What, you might ask, is the natural follow-up the euphoria of P&P?

How about the classic horror novel, "The Shining"?

Yeah.

I'm an idiot.

But, by god, "The Shining" is good. It got it for $0.99 at a Value Village and thought it was a good size to read on the streetcar. I'd never read any Stephen King, and I'm not generally a fan of the horror genre at all. To be fair, I haven't read much.

There's no wonder he's known as the master of horror - King is so adept at cultivating dread, I was on tenterhooks before the Torrence family even got to the damned Overlook Hotel.

I was also surprized by how many changes were made in the 1980 film adaptation. Jack, the father, and Danny, the son with "the shining," experienced a lot of things that were not in the Kubrick classic, and other things that weren't in the book at all that were added in the film.

The book was way scarier. Way scarier. Last week there was a raging lightning storm that woke me up at 1am. I thought some reading might lull me back to sleep, but it happened to be the chapter with the corpse lady ghost in room 217. A corpse lady ghost! Jeez god.

Still, perhaps the makers of the movie adaptation simply couldn't do justice to the horrors described in the novel - CGI would now cover it, but the technology of the late 70s wouldn't have.

I couldn't help but wonder who would play Jack Torrence in a remake. It would be a big pair of shoes to fill after Jack Nicholson's iconic performance in the original. Still, if the re-make was true to the novel in a way the Kubrick film wasn't, a new one would be so different, maybe an actor would be up to putting his own stamp on it.

Might I suggest Ryan Reynolds? Too hunky? Ryan Gosling? Still too hunky? I think they would be good, though. Jack has to be about 30, but have chops. Who? Oh! Maybe Joshua Jackson - not too hunky, but should be able to handle the rage cage of the Overlook.

How about Ryan Reynolds? Wait...

(It would be a monumental mistake to remake this movie, I know, but there's nothing new in the world and there's certainly nothing new in the world of cinema these days. {Let's look at movies out right now: Star Trek, Land of the Lost, Angels and Demons (ger-ow), Night at the Museum 2, Wolverine...})

I might have to pick up another King novel.


In the meantime, to cleanse the palatte, I'm now reading Carlo Petrini's "Slow Food Nation." It's basically making me sad and angry. It makes me want to put a push on my dream on moving back the east coast, building my own house with a root cellar and growing an epic garden of heirloom veg.

5 comments:

Holly said...

For some reason, John Corbett comes to my mind in the role. A bit old, but people are having children older these days.

If you want homely, Javier Bardem would be awesome - though it would certainly change the accent (and name).

Also, possibly Simon Baker, for lightweight - though he might be due for something stronger.

Some whacky ideas: Jason Schwartzman, or even Adrien Brody.

I could also see Gerard Butler giving it a good go. Or possibly Paddy Considine, if he can do an American accent.

But, for extra creepiness: Jonathon Rys Meyers.

My luck, they'd just give it to Adrian Grenier to get 16 year old girls to go. :(

Catherine said...

Schwartman came to mind, as he always does, but I dismissed him. Unfair.

Brody, though, another Husband List member, would be good, perhaps...

Anonymous said...

Catherine,

Welcome to the only-slightly-literarily-embarrasing world of Stephen King novels. Some of them are quite extraordinary, despite the fact that the literary world tends to pan his work. For your next foray, might I suggest The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (which is perhaps the most likely to be remembered in future for its quality as a work of literature), or one of his older works like Firestarter and The Dead Zone (both equally compelling and brilliant), or perhaps if you're williung to tackle one of his larger tomes, The Stand, which I believe is my personal favorite.

I'm something of a Stephen King apologist, but now that you've read The Shining, you might begin to see why.

Confed Ctr Kevin in PEI

Catherine said...

Thanks, Confed Centre Kevin! I'll keep an open mind for my future reading.

Anonymous said...

Johnny Knoxville would be perfect