Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Wagon Trail.

The modern version of the Mormon wagon trail is the TTC Pape and Don Mills 25 bus that I have to take to volunteer every week.

It's a long bus ride - 25-30 minutes. I usually read or listen to music.

Somehow, though, it is the main artery of the Mormon Missionary Corridor.

Missionaries get on the bus with the express purpose of chatting to commuters about their faith. It's a captive audience.

In January, I spoke with Elder Clift, a Mormon missionary into his second year of the manditory two-year missionary service. He had his tandem missionary partner with him too, but after boring him for 10 minutes about the frustrations of studying world religions at a graduate level, he was looking over my shoulder at other people who don't know anything about his faith.

Two weeks ago, another missionary got on, solo, but I was boxed in at the back and he didn't get to me.

Today, on the ride home, there were five (!) missionaries standing on the east side of Don Mills road, but I was going south, so I thought I was safe. No. One stop later, four clean-cut (Brigham) young men got on my bus.

I got off at the next stop and waited for the next bus.

I don't have a problem with the Church of Mormon (especially if the ones I saw looked like this), and I don't really have much of a problem with their missionary journeys - in fact, I think it's a great feature to strengthen one's faith - but I just didn't have the energy to talk to folks who might want to educate me. I took multiple courses on North American New Religious Movements, so I'm good, thanks.

So, when I get gloomy and think about how fruitless my hard work for my Master's was, I can take comfort in knowing I know more about Mormons than the average person who rides the 25 bus.

And I guess I can bore Mormons.

Hot dog.

No comments: