Monday, March 23, 2009

Thanks, Buddy!

I had so much fun last week at my ukulele night.

Each Wednesday is my uke jam night. Every month there's a theme night, and since this month's was on the 18th, the theme was "Luck."

I wanted to tie in a Irish music theme with me being so lucky to have been born in Newfoundland.

I decided to play Buddy Wasisname and the Other Feller's "Song For Newfoundland," a beautiful tune extolling the beauty of our easternmost province.

The crowd for the theme night was bigger than usual; about 45-50. They caught on to the chorus quickly, and I could hear them singing along as I went through the song. It sounded so good, in the last chorus I stopped strumming and we all sang a capella. I got really choked up, hearing a room of (mostly) Torontonians singing that Newfoundland is "home sweet home to me."

It was fantastic, and reminded me that familiarity and affection are not the same thing and I'm not home here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And now you got me choked up reading about it. I wish I could have been there to hear you. Hope we can all make it "home" this summer!
Hugs, Marilyn