Monday, February 23, 2009

Post-Oscar Post-Mortem.

Usually, I post before the Oscars with my predictions.

Here's the thing: my computer, while kindly gifted to me by my brother-in-law, is too old to find the wireless internet in my house, so I had to buy this USB-port modem thingie. It worked well enough. It was not aesthetically pleasing.

Well, while downloading a new Zac Efron wallpaper last weekend, I caught it on a bit of furniture and snapped the bugger off. Soldering fell out of the little casing. It was over.

So, I find myself having to beg, borrow, or steal an internet connection. I'm now on B's compy on his last night in town.

As for the Oscars, it was the best one I'd ever seen. Huge Assman did an amazing job hosting, and I was tickled by the format changes.

Here's what I jotted in my notebook on Friday, hoping to get a computer to post my Oscar predictions. This was one of the few years where I chose the winner!

Here's my list (note the tie):

1) Slumdog Millionaire
2) Milk
2) The Reader
4) Frost/Nixon
5) Weekend at Bernie's
6) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Post-amble:

1) A colourful fairytale with a happy ending. And choreographed dancing. A cute boy.
2) A brilliantly performed biopic of a truly inspiring lead character. It is also a great ensemble.
2) I can't decide if this is better than Milk. I go back and forth. The Reader was a visually beautiful, complicated, multi-levelled story of lust, denial, and reading.
4) Don't get me wrong. This is not the fourth-best film. The top four are so great. It is a great suspenseful film, and I love plays to film. This was a carefully-directed character study. Fantastic.
5) Weekend at Bernie's is about two men who molest and carry around a corpse for a weekend. It is awesome.
6) A cloying tale of a tragic man who is born a tiny arthritic prune and lives a full life despite it. He should have been tied in a bag and thrown over a bridge. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you liked Benjamin Button, huh?
Lisa