Thursday, January 15, 2009

Uke Support Group.

Last night was the inaugural meeting of the Corktown Ukulele Jam. It's where the Ukies meet!

One of the girls in the group said it's probably how people with odd sexual perversions feel when they find a chatroom filled with other pervs.

(I would never pretend there's anything sexy about a uke. A uke is the opposite: Wholesome, pure joy that you can share with kids and geezers and everyone in between. Sorry. That somehow sounds like a multi-generational orgy invite. How did that happen!? Damn!)

Anyhow...

Now I've found a support group! I walked into a room of about 30 (!) people with the coolest collection of ukuleles I've ever seen. Actually, the people were all really cool, too. They were so funny and talented.

There was a big spread of age, athough I'd say the average was probably about 10 years older than me. There were almost as many women as men.

There was open mic, and people sang and played. One guy's picking was amazing. I need to learn!

It seems there's a lot of nostalga in the uke world to play olde Tin Pan Alley ditties, but I don't know them. I've spent more time playing Ben Folds, Elton John, and Joel Plaskett.

Anyhow, it's so cool to me to have a place to go once a week and jam with other uke players. You know I've only ever met one other uke player since I started in June?

Well, it was a thrill to be there, and I'm looking forward to it being a weekly date.

3 comments:

Holly said...

We're coming along well, for newbies. Our's came with a DVD, and we're working through that.

BTW, we've named our's Daisy in honour of your Duke. :)

Tad said...

You misspelled 'orgy'... get it together woman! How many times do I have to go through those flashcards with you?

Catherine said...

That's how we breeders spell it.

Fixed!