Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ugh. Really? Benjamin Button?

Gah. Now I have to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Thanks for nothing, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. I assume it's something about boxes of chocolates and Lieuts. Dan.

Ok, that's flip. I don't want to see it because it looks like it's trying to hard to be an "Oscar film."

Hook, line, and sinker.

So, for the noms for Best Picture, I'm on my way. Tomorrow I'm going to see Slumdog Millionaire, which I've been trying to see for a while. Today, I saw The Reader, which was very good, indeed. I'd already seen Milk and Frost/Nixon. I liked them both very much. Both were far more suspenseful than I thought they would be.

I also saw Waltz With Bashir, which is at times beautiful, rarely funny, visually interesting, and, in the end, chilling. It was strange to see a subtitled film that I didn't know the language at all. Bashir is Israeli, and I think the only word I could make out was the Hebrew for "Lebanon." If you're a war/history buff, this might be for you, but bring a zip-loc of prozac with you.

I was sorry to see Happy-Go-Lucky so under-represented on the nominee list.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

I also can't believe Benjamin Button was nominated. It's three hours long! Who wants to waste 3 hours on that?

Laura said...

I did and yes, aside from enjoying the eye candy and the pretty lighting, it could have been so much more. Nice packaging, but not only did they change the original story (which was much funnier), they missed out on really hitting on a theme with this one.
I think I'm voting for Slumdog.

Anonymous said...

Benjamin Button would be such a waste of time. It is a shame it made it to the awards, taking up space of more deserving cinematic efforts. As with SDM. I read Q&A and hesitated to see the film. This review articulates my queasiness really well: http://diaryofananxiousblackwoman.blogspot.com/2009/01/bollywood-meets-national-geographic-my.html

Makes me even wonder if the awards are worth the attention. Well, sometimes.

M.