Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sorta Working.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been volunteering at a little company that installs renewable energy systems in homes and businesses. It's run by two men who design and hire people to install the technology. I got in touch with them a while ago, asking if they needed any admin work. It turns out they did, but they weren't sure if they could afford to commit to hiring someone.

So, as a show of good faith, I asked them to let me come in on a "work experience term" (read: volunteer) to learn how the place works and show them, hopefully, how indespensible I am so they'll hire me in the new year, if only part time.

I like it there a lot. They talk a lot about profit margins and returns on investments, but they tell me that telling potential clients about environmental benefits isn't worth it because people really are more interested in saving (or making) money than the planet. Fine by me, as long as they're thinking about saving energy.

Anyhow, I'm mostly doing data entry, but the spreadsheets I'm working on are tracking clients' energy use and costs. Soon, I might even have a handle on what a Kwh means in a practical sense. Does it power a lightbulb or a fridge? I dunno.

No comments: