Monday, December 22, 2008

Jiggedy Jog, 2008 Christmas Edition.

I think I have to start being more specific when I write "Jiggedy Jog" to signify my return home.

My Dad's mum lived with us for many winters, and, later, a couple of full years before whe went into the home, and every time we returned to the house Grammy Sweet would say, "Home again, home again, jiggedy jog."

Now, though, even though it's been many years since she left our house and a couple of year since she died, it's hard to drive into that garage without thinking of that little verse.

Anyhow, I am now back on Prince Edward Island and the weather outside is frightful.

"They" were calling for a storm last night, starting at midnight, 20-30cm of snow. I was at a par-tay, and lost track of time, but when I looked outside and saw a hairy storm a-blowin', I bolted out of there, uke in hand. I drove a couple of kids home, and what should have been a 10 minute drive turned into a half hour at 30 km/h in second gear.

4 comments:

Holly said...

My mum used to say that, too. Now I sing it with Declan. Cuteness.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Catherine said...

Yay! Pass on the inane rhyme!

I hope you're having some Hannukah fun for the first time with Dec.

Hope to see you soon!

Rosey said...

That's so funny because my mom says the same thing! Have you ever heard the whole rhyme?

To market, to market,
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggedy jig.

To market, to market,
To buy a fat hog,
Home again, home again,
Jiggedy jog.

Mom always says the jig line instead of the jog one.

Holly said...

I try to leave out the porcine bits of the rhyme...