Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu.

Later, 2008. You can suck it. I've got a new year. Its name is 2009.

It seems like I did a lot of stuff this year. At the same time, it would be nice to be a little more stable. I don't mean 9-to-5 and PTA-wise, but maybe income-wise.

So, let's see:

1)This year I went to:

KW
CA
UK
IT
DE
BE
CH
NYC
PE
NL
And Ottawa, which I can't think of an abbreviation for.

2) I'm adding this in later, because I still surprise myself by forgetting: I had eye surgery this year, and lasers vaporized some of my corrupt flesh to alow me to see the light... Something about a plank... I dunno - this is all too Biblical. It's still shocking that I take it for granted, or forget.

3)Having never been crapped on by a bird, I was hit twice this year, and on two separate continents, which I consider excessive. Once was on the dirty corner of Lansdowne and College in Toronto, and the other was in the dirty Liecester Square in London. And each time, the poop hit my hair, not my shoulder or my shoe. Nice.

WTF, birds? I thought we were friends.

4)In June, I happily quit my job (or, as my EI application would state, "I didn't renew my contract"). While I am still wallowing in unemployment, I don't for a second regret leaving the terrible administration at that crooked and self-important school. Everyone (students, teachers, parents) got a raw deal except for the owner of the school.

My claim with the Ontario labour board for unpaid wages is being processed.

5)I finally finished my GD screenplay, which I started in the last year of my Master's, so, in 2005.

Now that it's done, though, I have no clue what to do with it. I watch the cursor mockingly blink at me after the words "THE END."

6)I took a course in commercial and documentary voicework and enjoyed it very much. In the new year, I'm hoping to volunteer for Voiceprint, and I'm going to put together a demo reel so I can try to get an agent and hopefully get some auditions for radio and TV ads.

I'm not interested in or comfortable with all the self-promotion and networking that I'm probably going to have to do. Bah. For some reason, I'm excited about auditions, though.

7)One of the things I was most proud of this year was the little urban garden we had at our old house.
(not an actual photo... idiots)
I'm looking forward to putting in a more ambitious garden this year. Now that we have more room, I'm planning to plant space-sucking zucchini, pumpkins, and summer squash along with beets, carrots, peas, beans, and two types of tomatoes.

I'm collecting jars and I'm going to read about preserving vegetables. Did you know that it takes about 30 litres of water to get one litre of frozen vegetables to your freezer? I'm not comfortable with that, so I'm going to try to offset some bought veg with beauties from my backyard.

8)I had terrible luck with flights this year. I know that's a little near-sighted after all the trouble folks have had this holiday, but still, I spent 16 hours waiting for a trans-Atlantic flight in June, missed altogether a flight to Dublin, and was stranded (at a friend's flat) in Switzerland after an unceremonious cancellation.

(Don't worry. I have some perspective. I know it was lucky I was able to travel at all, but in the context of travelling memories, all the flight BS tainted my reckoning of this vacation.)

9)To change the subject, I fell in love with my ukulele. Duke and I have spent many happy hours together since June. I've lost feeling in the fingertips of my left hand, an unhappy side-effect of my uke callouses. Still, the other side-effect is joy in my many unoccupied hours. Exhibit a: the maniacal grin in photo, right.

I've chastised myself a few times, thinking that I should have been doing something better with my "free time," but I was reminded that I did teach myself how to play a new instrument, and that's not nuthin'. Plus, I can accompany myself singing and heartily irritate my housemates.

My uke heroine, Julia Nunes:


10)Seriously, this year, I have got to lose some weight. I'm starting to get concerned about my heart and my pancreas. I have to eat more veg and less sugar. I have to move more. That's it, really: eat less crap, move more. That's my 2009 mantra.

No comments: