Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Still Kickin'.

Sorry for the radio silence.

Some fun things: I went to Ottawa last weekend to see my fam. Ottawa smells so good. I don't notice how sour and dusty Toronto is until I stand in another city and compare. It didn't hurt that there were a lot of leaves down, and I love the smell of decomposing leaves. It makes me want to prepare for the winter.

I missed commenting on my 4th Bloggiversary. It was November 1st. Of anything, this just illustrates that I've got to post more frequently, since that was almost two weeks ago!

Also, I've started a voice class. It's a class in radio and television commercial voice-overs, and television and documentary narration. I'm loving it, so far, and I'm two classes in. It's great, because we're getting experience in a real recording studio, listening to ourselves in headphones and behind a powerful microphone. Hopefully, I'll be able to put together a demo "tape" and maybe work in this field. I've gotten some great feedback from the instructors and the other students.

Some work would be nice; it's still a no-go. I signed up with a temp agency last week, but I'm nervous about what I might have to do. It sounds like a great place, actually, and I won't be screwed out of pay or have to do anything I don't want to.

Today, I'm pecking away at my screenplay. Did people know I was writing one? Yeah, I have been. For effing years. I hit a wall when it came to the final conflict, but I think today I had a breakthrough and now I'm denouementing. I just don't know how the aliens and the evengelical preachers are going to live together, you know?

Kidding.

My 30th birthday is coming up, and all I find myself wanting to do to celebrate is to go away. I just looked at flights to Rio, and they were surprisingly inexpensive. I have a friend there who can house me, probably, and I promise, I won't go to any favelas.

Well, let's face it: I won't go to Rio at all. I have no job, and my father would probably freak out and make me wear a mosquito net 24 hours a day so I wouldn't get Dengue Fever. Dad's just looking out for me, and since he works in health, he sees all the weird ailments people bring home from vacation. No wonder he liked Nunuvut so much - there's a very low incidence of malaria!

Ah, well. I'll just get Brazil out of my system the same way I have for years: I'll listen to some Astrud Gilberto and imagine myself as the Girl from Ipanema.

Tall, and pasty, and 30, and lovely, the Girl from Stratford goes walking. But not for too long, because she's got heel spurs, and she gets those weird blisters on her toes...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Screenplay = awesome. Good luck with the denouement!

Of course, if indeed you do want a dose of aliens and evangelical priests (or, in this case, Jesuits), you could always read "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell. I read it months ago and thinking about it still gives me the shivers.

Catherine said...

You may have missed the "kidding" post script. No aliens. No ministers. Only tons of dirty sex.

Kidding.