Saturday, December 15, 2007

Kids These Days...

I teach 16, 17, and 18 year olds.

Jesus Gad, some of them are thick.

I don't remember being a twit when I was in grade 11 and 12. Was I a twit?

(That I don't remember much from my youth worries me. It's general impressions and blurs of images, but no concrete emotions or lucid memories. Why can't I remember elation, shame, joy, embarassment, and so on? Granted, I don't remember much from last summer, let alone 10 years ago.)

Anyhow, if anyone can remember me at the time, please let me know if I was a twit.

Professional conscience prevents me from giving precice details right now, but understand that I often shake my head with incredulity at these kids. I also laugh bitterly, thinking about how they're going to react to true academia next semester when they get to Uni. What a kick in the pants it's going to be. I wish I could go and sadistically watch their shining faces when they don't get everything handed to them my mummy and daddy.

To be fair, which I rarely am, I have some awesome students. About half of them, I'd say, are high school grads who dicked around at their first school and now know the value of going to university, so they're back to upgrade. They take the classes very seriously. I just gave a 21-year-old an 87 as a final grade, and he deserved it - he worked very hard for it.

I often think, perhaps erroneously, that those 3 or 4 years between the teenage twits and the early-20s students make the difference cognitively. Their intellects are simply more mature than their younger classmates'.

Anyhow, I will soon start job hunting again, because I want out of this job before I become a bitter, burnt out old school marm. Pre-emptive strikes are rad, yo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you can't be a twit when you are 16-18 when can you be a twit?

Murph said...

You would have loved me... Not only was I a twit at that age (and in some ways I still am), I'm sure it was my personal mission to spread twittery to the four corners of the world.

Roz said...

I think we block out how clueless, dense, and irresponsible we were in our late teens. Many people say the current crop of college kids-- the millennials-- are uniquely narcissitic and irresponsible. See this link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kv52oVIcUKk&feature=related

I'm actually not so sure this current group is that unusual. I came of age in the 1960's.

Catherine said...

You're right, Roz. We do have selective memory. Now, though, I think it's my turn to shake my head like 30 year-olds did when I was 17. The circle of life!