Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Let's Hope Toronto Doesn't Always Whiff of Piss.

Things are going well at the site. For the last week, I've been continuing work on the tongue-and-groove, but instead of being up on the scaffolding, I've become the mistress of the chop saw.

Who could have ever thought that 5 months ago, I was waking myself with nightmares about power tools? I am now perfectly confident, comfortable, and, might I add, proficient with the chop saw, jigsaw, and circular saw.

Now, we have two teams working on installing the tongue and groove, and they holler out the length of board they need. I repeat it back to them in reciept of the order, find a board, cut it, and bring it to them, repeating the length when I present it.

Team: Catherine!
Me: Yeah!
Team: 87 and three eighths!
Me: 87 and three eighths, I'm on it!

I like it. I feel like a short-order cook. Maybe I should get a little bell and hit it when an order is up.

Anyhow, one more afternoon and the whole ceiling should be done.

Last week, Dad was here. He's working on some lectures for the fall, so he's writing and researching a lot. I think he needed a change of atmosphere, so he called and came up. He was here for 4 days, and it was great to see him for a while. I think him coming up assured him I wasn't living in squalor, and he also insisted on cleaning all the things that weren't clean enough to eat off. I didn't stop him.

On the weekend, I went to Toronto to see Marianne, Chris K., Kristin, and Emily (the last three I hadn't seen in almost 2 years). I tried to give blood, but my iron was too low, and I saw a Jays games (they won). I also saw Hot Rod (2007), which, while peurile, was very entertaining. I laughed so hard at one point, it was like the time I couldn't stop laughing in Shrek (2001) and the time I couldn't stop crying in The Pianist (2002). All times were embarassing, but satisfying.

Anyhow, I don't know if it was because it was the summer, Caribana weekend, or a combination of the two, but the city smelled like it was pickled in piss. It wasn't the normal city phenomenon of occasionally walking by an alley and whiffing piss; it was full lengths of streets that whiffed of piss.

This week, I have a huge project to work on. I've all but resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to pass it in late. I work so hard on the site during the day, the last thing I want to do at night is draw design diagrams.

On Thursday, Lynda, Mel, and Dave are coming to visit me! I love that wherever I go, I get a delegation from the Confed. I am confident that this place will be prettier than Hamilton. Hell, I'd have to move to the Sydney Tar Ponds for it not to be prettier than Hamilton.

Finally: I'm going to try to make a go of it in Toronto in the fall. It makes me a little sad to give up trying to find work in the Maritimes, but last year was so depressing and demoralizing, I honestly can't face the idea of going back to joblessness or near-joblessness and mooching off my kind parents again. I have old and new friends in the city and in nearby cities, and already couple of job leads. And, as of this past weekend, I have secured a place to stay, which is a big load off my mind. And my parents' minds.

Off to update the ole resume!

1 comment:

promyka5 said...

Hi Catherine!

ANOTHER Cornfed pal is thinking of you! I found this awesome video which immediately put me in mind of your Shaun fixation:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AgBrVzbZYHY

I didn't have your e-mail address, so I thought I'd post it here in hopes you might find it.

I was sad to hear that you won't be back this fall, but I'm sure you'll kick ass there in Toronto!

See ya,
Kevin