Thursday, August 23, 2007

I Never Worked A Day In My Life; I Just Lay Back And Let The Big Beat Lead Me.

Well, I've got some good news. For those who have been reading this blog for a while, or listening to me moan about the state of my life, you especially know I have some good news!

I got a job!

It took me a year and a half on Prince Edward Island to not get a decent job, and I've not even officially moved to Toronto yet and I'm set.

So, the job is teaching English Lit. to grade 12 students at a private school. I think it'll be fine, and there's some chance for me to advance (meaning, teach more).

I have to thank my old friend Mike for the job. He worked at this school and is leaving, and recommended my name to the principal. I went in for a meeting yesterday, and she hired me before we parted ways. His nod went a long way, and I owe him. Something, I dunno, but I just do, in that cosmic sense.

Sorry to all those who didn't know I had the interview, but I was nervous and didn't want to jinx it. The thing is, not only do I now have a job, but one I think I'll like a lot and be good at.

The sad thing to me is how much this is a commentary on the state of the job scene on the East Coast, and how outmigration is such an insidious problem. It breaks my heart to leave my briney ocean tossed. (Yeah, I know that's Nova Scotia, but it works for PEI, too.)

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Yeah for my sister! I feel your pain about selling your soul to Upper Canada for the sake of making a living. It's a sad decision to have to make. When we're 65 and 66 I'm sure we will sit together on our cottage patio's on the North Shore and sip tea and wonder if it was all worth it.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Catherine!! That's great news about the job, although of course I'm sorry you're going to be so far away from me still.

Rosey said...

That was Rosey, sorry it didn't display my name!

Tara said...

Congratulations Catherine! I am so happy for you! I know how frustrated you were with PEI's job market. Best of luck! See you at the Maud?

mel said...

Weeeee! I'll be in Toronto in October. We should party. Or, you know, visit and play bible trivia. Whichever.