Sunday, August 12, 2007

Green Is The Colour.

Go Riders!

On Friday, me and five of my classmates accompanied Dave to a Saskatchewan Roughriders game at the Skydome. Dave is my classmate whose wife, son, and neighbours in Saskatchewan are taking care of his cattle ranch while he's taking this course. He's a good, hard-working, God-fearing, salt-of-the-earth guy, and we all love him, so we wanted to watch him support his favourite team.

I didn't know, not knowing anything about the CFL, that it is customary for Roughriders fans to wear watermelons as helmets and paint themselves green. Dave did not let us down. Stripped to the waist and melon-helmeted, Dave strutted proudly through the sea of navy-blue Argos fans.

He took some abuse from the Toronto fans, who threw peatnuts and insults at him, but for the most part, there was a great supportive sportsmanship from the crowd. When it became obvious in the 4th quarter that the Riders were going to win, the crowd started filing out of the Skydome. Dave, who was sitting on the aisle, got friendly thumps on his helmet, pats on the back, handshakes, and congratulations. He was on cloud nine. Adorable. "We" got the game in the end, 24-13.

I still know little to nothing about the CFL, but I think I can follow along now. It was worth the $25 ticket to watch Dave, though, and cheer on a team whose province I've only ever driven through.

I love fight songs:

Green is the Colour. Football is the Game. We're all together and Winning is our aim. So Cheer us on through the sun and rain. Saskatchewan Roughriders is our name.

Let's show our pride in the Green & White. We will fight, Green & White. Sing loud and clear till the game is won. The best is yet to come.

Green is the Colour. Football is the Game. We're all together and Winning is our aim. So Cheer us on through the sun and rain. Saskatchewan Roughriders is our name.

Here at Taylor Field we are Number one. We're the best; East or West. We'll give our all till the game is done. Stand up and sing everyone .... Hey!

Green is the Colour. Football is the Game. We're all together and Winning is our aim. So Cheer us on through the sun and rain. Saskatchewan Roughriders is our name.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey. I'm originally from Saskatchewan and I just caught the Labour Day game. I have been searching for those lyrics to that fight song for so long. Thanks!

Catherine said...

Hi, Emily! I'm glad you found it useful! I have no idea where I found them, since I'm now writing from 2012 and it was almost 5 (!) years ago now. Go Riders!