Sunday, May 13, 2007

"They're Not All That."

I just re-watched Hot Fuzz. I found it online. Streaming, with no subtitles or weird glitches. Lucky me, right? Hm.

Anyhow, after watching it a second time, I've decided that I'm not all that hot on it.

Tepid Fuzz? (And I thought I was being clever - someone else beat me to it.)

It's a good twenty mintues too long, the climax gets tedious (even though I get and appreciate the spectacle of a gun battle in a sleepy English village and that Pegg and Frost must have been creaming their pants at the thought of shooting off a shedload of weapons and making 'splosions), and I just plain didn't root for the characters as much as I should have wanted to.

Shaun was a fuck-up. Nicolas Angel is a crack cop who loses his gourd and totes enormous shotguns while riding a white horse. I guess that's what happens when you get a huge budget to write a movie you're going to star in.

Anyhow. This is the first time, I think, I've not been super hot on a Pegg offering. "Spaced," Shaun, "Big Train," that "Danger: 50,000 Volts" he guest-starred on with Nick Frost... all fried gold. I still have the poster on the wall, even though I wish it were Shaun instead.

Rafe Spall was still great. I stand by that one. His was in a double act with Paddy Considine which was very well done.

No comments: