Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"Just Because" Gifts Are Great!

This past Friday, I missed out on a class trip touring sustainable houses in the area because I had to stick around the build site and do an interview with the local paper. And then on the Saturday, I couldn't go help build straw bale walls for a Queen's University research project because I had to go speak at a naturalists society regional meeting about sustainable building.

Both meetings went well, but I am sorry I missed those great events. It means that all this last weekend, I was home alone. I did some housework and a little homework, but it was very uneventful.

Yesterday: Monday, the first day back to the site after everyone's grand adventures. Chris, one of my classmates, places a long, slender cardboard box in front of me on the picnic table where I was unpacking my gear. I slid the contents out and I knew what it was before I unrolled it; I could see the word "police" on what appeared to be a bullit-proof vest. I got very gushy. The gift was uncalled for and very nice.

On the weekend, he went to a movie theatre that was giving away posters, and he thought of me when he saw this one (right). It is now on my breakfast nook bedroom wall. I thought I was beyond the phase of my life where I put up movie posters, but for this one, I'll make an exception. I like this one, too, but suspect it's not available in North America.

Wasn't that so thoughtful? Had I been talking about Simon Pegg that much? Probably. Maybe he thought this would shut me up. 'Cor, is he wrong.

4 comments:

Holly said...

The word "cinemas" and the lack of explosions does make that other poster seem very un-North American...

Catherine said...

I didn't even notice the cinema line at the bottom. I just didn't think Nick's PC helmet would fly in Dee-troit.

Marilyn said...

Moderate violence....really? My soft, fleshy under-jaw still hurts thinking of that movie.
That was very nice of Chris.

Holly said...

True, but the helmet could just be "hey - look - hees waring a funny hat!"