Saturday, March 24, 2007

Unexpectedly Entertained.

It's less than 2 weeks now, and I feel a lot of things are coming down to the wire.

This week coming, I don't have as many appointments or shifts, so my time can be concentrated on preparing for my course. I bought a few more tools this week, but need to get more off the list. I also called all over Charlottetown looking for 11x17" graph paper, but I can't find any. Bah.

I saw Harold and Maude (1971) for the first time this week, which is a fantastically dark comedy with a killer soundtrack by Cat Stevens. I also finished, in small doses, all the seasons of "Mr. Show with Bob and David." They got considerably better as the seasons progressed, and I found that I was developing an odd and unexpected crush on Bob Odenkirk. I don't know... don't ask me. I'm not in control of these things. It also reminded me of how great David Cross is, and the genius things he did with poor Tobias on "Arrested Development."

Yesterday, I had my audiologist appointment. I think it was the clinic where Lynda used to work, because the bedside manner (as it were) left much to be desired. Anyhow, my ears are healthy as one expects and I found myself entertained by the test for understanding. In earphones, a monotone male voice said "you say carve," and I have to say the word back. "Owl," was another one I remember. I find it so interesting to think that someone could hear the same sounds as me, but by the time they're processed by the brain, the sounds might change. Neat!

BOOK EXCERPT:
"Common prices vary from Can$2 to $5 per bale. We like to offer farmers the best possible price for their bales, rather than negotiating the lowest possible price. One of the advantages of bale building is the creation of a valuable product for farmers, and we believe it is important to foster good relations with bale suppliers. The cost of bales will be one of the lowest on your budget, even if you voluntarily offer top dollar. And offering a generous price helps guarantee that the bales will meet all your requirements."

from More Straw Bale Building: A Complete Guide to Designing and Building with Straw by Chris Magwood, Peter Mack, and Tina Therrien. New Society Publishers, Canada. 2005, p 29.

2 comments:

Holly said...

It's strange that you hadn't seen Harold and Maud before. I thought *I* was the last one left to see it of all college-type film snots.

Catherine said...

No, and I wish I'd seen it earlier. It was great.

And hey, YOU invited ME to 8 1/2, not the other way around. :)