Saturday, March 31, 2007

Tits On The Radio.

This morning a guy from CBC interviewed me about having the last name Sweet. He was going to talk to my sister about it, but she's sick, so I snaked it out from under her! Sucka!

This guy, Michael Bhardwaj, was preparing a pilot for CBC radio's summer programming. (Shout out to Michael if he's Googled himself.)

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Ceeb in the summer, a lot of the usual shows go on summer hiatus and short-run shows take over for them. They are generally excellent. The summer of '05 when I was writing my thesis in the swelter of Hamilton, it was a great distraction. The strike (lockout - whatever) interrupted that year, too, but I still have fond memories.

Anyhow, this guy is preparing a program about taste, not just food and flavour, but how we perceive flavour and how we use allusions to flavour in our everyday. So... he wanted to interview people with the last name Sweet and that brought him to Marilyn. Marilyn, though, is whinging through the end of a nasty flu, so she referred him to me!

She called me today to let me know he'd be calling in short order. I happened to be wearing my exploding pizza tee, too. (It's not that big a coincidence. I wear it a lot. Too much. hint hint.) It was fun to speak with him. Like my advisor told me when I was nervous about doing interviews for my thesis: don't worry - people love to talk about themselves.

I hope it gets picked up. Not because I want to hear myself on the radio. Quite the opposite. I hate the sound of my voice recorded. Apparently I was on the local CBC morning show this week talking about the media artist's exhibit in at the Confederation Centre's Art Gallery. I didn't hear it, but my ex-co-workers told me I represented. Yo. Anyhow, the series sounds interesting. He evoked Jonathan Goldstein's show, and I enjoys its dark, dark, dark humour.

One more CBC mention. There's an article on-line about sustainibility in the home construction industry. Read it here, si vous vouliez.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Ahhh! I love the CBC plugging that goes on among these blogs.(Note: Maritime Noon is profiling our Writing Centre on Monday!!)
Question: Radio One or Two? And what do you think of the evening programming?

Rosey said...

The theme music for As It Happens always makes me think I'm in my kitchen at home. *happy sigh* You'll have to let us know when you'll be on the air!

Lynda said...

Another radio star in our midst!

I lurve me some CBC. I'm always listening to the local morning and afternoon shows, and one of the first things I do when I drive home is set my radio to 96.1 so I can hear Mainstreet. My favourite evening show is Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap on Saturday's.

And who doesn't want to be Promo Girl? Remember her short-lived summer series? We never found out how all those mysteries ended!

Catherine said...

Laura: This guy didn't say if it was Radio One or 2. I am wholly unfamiliar with Radio2, so I don't know if they replace summer programming "over there." I would guess Radio One, since he evoked Goldstein's show.

Ro: I don't know if it'll ever get to the air, but if the pilot gets picked up, he'll let me know, and I'll let you (pl) know.

Lou: I LOVE Bachman's Vinyl Tap! It's such a great show! I think it might have been one of those summer replacement shows that was extended for the full year. It's on late on Thursdays, too. This week was Beach Boys themed.

AND, I almost said something about Promo Girl's show, but I thought it was too "insidey" and name-droppy, so I didn't. I shouldn't have underestimated my readers.