Monday, March 05, 2007

A Hearty Bunch.

How do the British survive? The tea consumption alone is astronomical. When I was in Bexleyheath in October, I was offered tea at least four times a day. I usually have one cup a day, if that. One day during that trip, I resolved to drink each cup that was made for me. I felt ok, aside from the frequent urination.

Yesterday, I hosted a Shaun of the Dead screening. It was great fun. I enjoyed it, anyway. There were eleven of us in my parent's basement, and we had so much food, it was great. I had those great chocolate chip-pumpkin cookies and edamame, and people brought cheese, crackers, grapes, trail mix, meatballs, breaded zucchini sticks, and chips and chips and chips.

I didn't eat too much, though. I hit the soy beans and had a couple of cookies, but most of the real estate in my stomach was occupied by tea. In honour of the British pic pick, I brewed a pot of tea for my guests. Only Laura and Terry partook in a single cup each. I, however, made up for everyone else.

I had a cup before people arrived, then two cups while we waited for the last lost lambs to arrive (triple trouble, ya'll), then another while we watched the movie. Then I brewed another pot and had two more cups that night.

Stop grinning at me like that, you limey bastard.


I'm not talking herbal tea here, either. It was full-on Tetley.

I guess I know now that I cannot physically handle six cups of tea in one day. I went to bed early, feeling slightly sick and clammy, my skin crawling like there were tiny electric charges surging at random all over. This, I suppose, is akin to the coffee jitters I hear so much about. I didn't like it at all. It was unnerving in a tolerable way.

I had an All Shaun, All The Time Weekend. On Saturday, I watched the commentary track, and on Sunday morning, I watched the trivia track version of the movie, which is lovingly called the Zombometer. It was very informative about all the little nods to the creators' favourite zombie movies. Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are inspired.

About half my guests hadn't seen the movie before, which was great. I think that people who had seen it and wanted to see it again really shows how great it is, though. I say if you haven't seen it, you should go rent it. Or, better yet, save yourself the future rental fees and just buy a copy for yourself. I paid c.$15 for my copy, I think (more than I usually would pay), and I've probably averaged it down to about a dollar per showing now.

I tried to do my hair up in an Yvonne-esque pouf, and although I couldn't get Jessica's height, it really put me in the mood. For a disembowling.

13 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, I indulged in a cup too! But that was pre health inspection, so perhaps you inhaled some spores that caused you to forget (oh, you know I'm only joking!....)

It was a fabulous showing, regardless. With trivia, quotes, and character channeling, you were a wonderful hostess! And the movie was just great. I might be convinced to attend a group showing of Hot Fuzz. Maybe.

Thanks again!

Michelle said...

I love that movie! It all goes back to that special Valentine's Day with Mel and Bobby in Ottawa. What could be more romantic than Shaun of the Dead? I immediately had to have it, and like you, was willing to pay more than I normally would for a dvd.

It's kinda like Ferris Bueller for me, I feel the need to make as many people as possible watch it . . .

Catherine said...

Sorry, Laura! You're right! You did have a cup, too. Should I ammend the original text? Yes. I will.

Tara said...

Awww...I missed out on tea too? I think my father probably makes at least 5 or 6 pots a day, and since my mother has been ill and in the hospital, it is I who has had to pick up the slack! I'm glad to hear it was Tetley and not some fancy variety. Myself, I'm more of a King Cole fan, however, the tea connossieur in me has noticed that it all depends on what kind of water you have. If ever visiting someone in Montague, ask for Tetley - it seems to taste best with their water!

Laura said...

Ha, Michelle, I knew about that viewing- I think Mel may have made a post about it. Valentine's Day? Well, Catherine did call it a rom-zom-com (or something like that). Thanks for the update Catherine, and Tara, we missed you, especially with your tea knowledge. You would probably have done nicely on trivia!

jamon said...

Six cups? Pah!

Six cups of what? We have a name for tea thats been brewed in a pot with 10 tea bags for half an hour. It's diesel. Proper, northern tea ;)

Try six cups of that!

Catherine said...

I know! I'm such a lightweight! I just wasn't raised with it like you were. I'm trying, though! If I'm going to be a lifetime Anglophile, I'm going to have to raise my tolerance.

Holly said...

There are still a goodly number of Canucks, at least Blue Nosers, who like them their diesel, you know. You don't have to have been born in the Isles to have been raised like it.

Catherine said...

Oh, I know. I was born in Newfoundland and raised on the East Coast (save one year in British Columbia), and tea was omnipresent, but strong tea was never praised by my family, and i didn't like it very much until my 19th year.

NorthernLight said...

Great discussion since just last weekend while on a camping trip with a few other teachers, we basically live off tea for hydration(makes the melted snow palatable). Mark, from Ontario, was saying that he liked his tea very weak, and when I tasted it it tasted more like water than tea... Guess I like it East Coast style too!

However, nothing can beat an Earl Grey...

Holly said...

New post, please.

Seriously, though - HAPPY LAST WEEK OF WORK! and good luck on the upcoming move.

Catherine said...

Fine! I'll write about drivel. Will that make you happy?

Holly said...

Yes.