Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Oscar 2007 Post-Mortem.

I'm sleepy. I'm still sleepy, 2 days later.

I know it's not Monday, but I was actually fairly immersed in something yesterday at work.

I don't think there is much to say. I would have liked my Ryan Gosling (Husband List Member #9) to have won for Half Nelson (2006), but I didn't really expect him to, even though it was an amazing subtle performance. Rent it up, yo.

I was pleased that Jennifer Hudson won Best Supporting Actress, and even more pleased that she took off that weird cloak that she arrived in.

I loved that Alan Arkin won for Little Miss Sunshine (2006). Of course, I wanted a) Steve Carell to be nominated instead, and b) it to win Best Picture, but we can't always get what we want.

That being said, I am not unhappy that The Departed (2006) won for Best Picture this year. It was a great movie, and I am vindicated that I put it at the top of my list. Thank goodness it wasn't Babel (2006). That's all I can say.

As for dresses, I was pleased with what everyone wore but Anne Hathaway, who might as well have wrapped a fitted sheet around her for all it did for her figure. Oh, and I think Cameron Diaz did wear a fitted sheet. Helen Mirren looked very refined, and I loved Reece Witherspoon and Gwyneth Paltrow's dresses. They were very different, with Reese's a strapless, deep aubergine tiered A-line thing, and Gwynnie's a sheer, fitted apricot frock with art deco lines. Those two gowns stood out most for me.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Holly said...

At Ryan Gosling's age, it is more like a vote of confidence for his potential that they nominated him. It bodes well for his future.

Catherine said...

Oh, yes. You're totally right. I look forward to seeing what's he's got for us in the future. That, or spiralling into drugs and women.

Rosey said...

Hmmm, I thought Gwyneth's dress did weird things to her boobs.

I did lurv Reese's though.

Holly said...

I didn't watch the Oscars, so I have had to catch up a bit.

I am torn on Reese Witherspoon's dress, though - it is nice, but I had a Japanese fighting fish that looked just like that, but died of some horrible infection. That tends to put a pall over the dress, I fear.

The worst dress I have seen so far is Jessica Biel's tacky purple sack, though. Ick.

It looks like something a middle aged, thrice-divorced, drunk aunt would wear to a family reunion, hoping to get a grope from some of the younger male cousins who might not recognize her.

*shudder*

Marilyn said...

I'm a fan of Kate Winslet's dress. I thought it looked so classic. And I agree with you Fern, about Jennifer Hudson's weird cloak thing. What was that? Reminded me of Ms. Scarlett's cloak thing in Clue.

Catherine said...

Yes!!! It IS like Miss Scarlett's cloak thing in Clue! How could I not have seen that? Cool!