Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Herding Cats.

Ugh. Today is Art Dicovery Day (or something) at the Confed. Centre, so there were about 75 fourth graders doing activities all morning. They seemed to really like it, but I just get so overwhelmed when I'm in the presence of so many little children.

Nothing dulls the ticking of the biological clock like 75 hyper 9-year-olds.

I was shocked and saddened to see what a lot of them had for lunches. Those shitty Lunchables things were everywhere, which are poison and expensive. The fat, sodium and nitrates in those things are definitely not fit for growing children. Never mind the waste. And then there were a lot of white bread sandwiches with processed red meats. I saw one apple, and another kid has some salad which looked good.

I remember in my elementary school days, there was one fat kid. It was a quota: One (1) Fat Kid. It's not like that now.

I'm no fitness freak, and I know I don't eat everything I should, and I also know I shouldn't judge what busy parents give their children, but maybe it just makes me all the happier to not have that responsibility. Note that last sentance didn't end with the word "yet."

I'm leaving for Ontario tonight. I'm going to see Marianne, then we drive to Haliburton, then back to Toronto, then I get a train up to see Marilyn in Ottawa, and then home on Sunday night. Hopefully, I can see the campus, secure an apartment for a not-too-extortionate rate, and come home less scared about the whole course.

I might update while I'm gone. I dunno.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Good luck!

Laura said...

Yes, good luck- find something nice so that all of the Confed Centries at school in Ontario can come and visit!