Friday, January 26, 2007

Home Sweet Home.

Well, this has certainly been an exciting week.

Last Friday I got home to find an acceptance letter from Fleming College for that course I applied for - Sustainable Building Design and Construction. Yesterday I sent in my acceptance of their offer.

Holy crap - I think I'm going to move to Ontario to learn how to design and build healthy homes! Gah!

This is pretty scary for me, as you might imagine. I've been schooled in a very academic way for years, so to get to more of a hands-on, practical course, this is going to be a huge shift of pace for me. I am honestly frightened, but I'm pretty clever, so I can hopefully keep up. I really want to learn about these construction methods, though, and maybe do something with it as a career. Maybe anything worth doing should make you a little scared.

Anyhow, in less than 2 weeks, I'll be up in Ontario looking at the campus and for an apartment. Marianne is going to take (a lot of!) time off work to accompany me up north for my recon mission. The campus is in Haliburton, Ontario, which seems to be almost right between Ottawa and Toronto, and north of Peterborough, near the Algonquin National Park. It's in the fabled Cottage Country, and it sounds like the Anti-Hamilton. (Could it be worse? It's not the Sydney Tar Ponds, for god's sake!)

The course starts in April and is 5 months long, so I'll miss PEI's beautiful summer, but I've spent more than 5 months unemployed this year, so I guess it's worth the risk to go and learn something new.

Yours,
Full of fear and loathing,
Catherine S. S.

10 comments:

Ash said...

Congrats Catherine!

Kelly said...

good for you Catherine!!!! but i will miss you!

Tara said...

I'm very excited for you Catherine! It will be such a great experience - but who will come visit me on wednesday and friday afternoons?

Rosey said...

Catherine, this is such fabulous news!!! Congratulations!!!

Lynda said...

Yay Catherine!!! That's super great!!! This might call for another visit to Upper Canada...

Holly said...

Is it selfish and wrong of me to hope that I can reap some of the benefit (ie. VISIT) of another easterner having to come to Ontario for school or livelihood?

I think not, so I will just wish you CONGRATS!

Catherine said...

Thanks, all! I'll try to keep you posted on any developments.

Emm said...

Congrats, Cate! That's awesome! You know, I actually met a girl who works at the hemp shop in Dundas who is starting the same program this spring... very strange. Anyway, I hope you come and visit us in Hamilton when you scope out your new digs... it would be fantastic to see you! :D

Catherine said...

Wow! That's great to hear that mine will not be the only ovaries in the course!

I swore I'd never return to Hamilton, but I think enough time has passed for me to consider it, even if the earth hasn't been salted, which was the one event I said I return for. I also have to get to KW to visit, too, so it seems southern ON is not yet off my radar.

Jeremy said...

RAWK