Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Ebb And Flow.

After a long stay in a home and after strokes and Alzheimer's, my father's mum died yesterday morning. Her name was Marjorie Sweet. She was 98 and both her body and mind were just tired out. We're going down to the Annapolis Valley tomorrow to bury her next to my grandfather. She was a schoolteacher in Nova Scotia and raised my Dad and my Uncle Lowell after her husband died in 1954. Grammy came to PEI to live with us for many winters since she lived alone in a big farm house in Billtown, NS. She had many strange little idiosyncrasies, but she was a cool independent lady who had a big vegetable garden in back of her house was always interested in our studies. I could go on at length about Grammy, but I'll leave it at that.

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hi Fern,

My mum sent me the obit today. I'm sorry. Please send my condolences to your folks, and to Marilyn too.

Jer

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother--my condolences to you and to your family.

Best wishes,

Ben

Anonymous said...

Catherine,

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Love, Sarah

Catherine said...

Thanks, everyone, and others who have sent emails. I'm in NS now - the funeral's this afternoon. I'm kinda looking forward to it a little. A lot of people have some great memories of Grammy, so it's kinda nice to hear all the stories.