Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It'll Freeze Like That.

Ugh. I've joined Facebook. It's some sort of e-cult that all the younger (and some older, and, might I add, more sensible) people at the Confederation Centre are obsessed with. It doesn't seem all that great, but some sort of shiny way to assure yourself you've got friends.

I only joined because I want access to one picture that Kelly's got on her "wall" (or something), but I couldn't get to it unless I registered, and now I have to wait for her to confirm that I'm her friend or something. It sounds like something designed to make 10 year old girls cry and lock themselves in their rooms.

I don't plan to obsessively "check in" to this site like my colleagues. I think this blog is as bandwagony as I plan to get.

E-socializing worries me. I can't put my finger on it. It seems lazy or something, or artificial, or frivolous, or inauthentic, or voyeristic, or creepy, or faddish, and I can't stand the thought of joining in on something I'm uncomfortable with just because everyone else is doing it. Wouldn't I have a lower back tattoo by now if I did? I don't MSN because it's such a timesuck (and maybe that's passe now, so I'm safe), and I don't chat anywhere else.

4 comments:

mel said...

I seem to recall you saying very similar things about blogging not too many years ago...

And you're totally right, on both counts. But still. There's nothing wrong with creepy and voyeristic, right?

Catherine said...

Yeah, I used to think blogging was creepy and voyeristic (in fact, that was the exact phrase), but now I'm ok with it. facebook still seems faddish.

Mitch said...

Yes, and how about them "telephones?" Don't forget to ditch all of those POS's. Hahaha Catherine, you are sounding so negative right now. Your little post on my "wall" got a plethora of laughter from many, many people. I'm sure you will soon understand the merit of the new and exciting facebook, it is just so much fun!

Catherine said...

Telephones? Those new fangled thingamajigs? Bah! In my day, we sent telelgraphs on the Pony Express, or, if it was really urgent, smoke signals. None of this camera/text/awesome ringtones BS. I gotta go. All this typing hurts my rheumatiz.