Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Posies And Cat Hair.

What did I do all morning? It appeals to many facets of my geekiness. My boss and I are sorting through images for a new book that Elizabeth Epperly is writing about LM Montgomery’s scrapbooks. We were finding that the digital files and the transparencies were inconsistently numbered, so guess what we got to do? We got out the originals! Kevin does most of the handling of the books, and the paper is so brittle that sometimes little pieces fall off (and that’s why we handle it as little as possible), but I got to look through, and in some cases, touch, Lucy Maud Montgomery’s scrapbooks!

I’m not really a Montgomery fan, as some of you might remember reading about when I was writing my Master’s thesis, but her scrapbooks are really cool. There are a lot of calling cards, something we don’t really use anymore, and a ton of newspaper clippings. Those clippings are a lot of lame poetry, but there are also news items which are neat, and some photos, like one that was labeled “Dalhousie College, Halifax, the doors of which are wide open to women.” There are playbills and cards with turn-of-the-century fashion, tons of pressed flowers, and, by far the creepiest, wads of cat hair tied in ribbon. Jibbly jibbly.

Well, Kevin was nice enough to take some time so we could look over the scrapbooks contents. It’s mostly ephemera to me, but this was a minister’s wife’s life one hundred years ago – pictures of cherubs and clematis, swatches and ribbons. Kevin made fun of a clipping of a Japanese maple leaf that looked like marijuana, and that made me think of how funny Montgomery’s stuff would be if she was rockin’ the Cheech and Chong. Maybe I’d like it more.

3 comments:

Rosey said...

Oh. My. God. So jealous right now. Horribly, horribly jealous.

Laura said...

Moi aussi, how cool! Today, our prof was talking about the archives she was going through of a group from 1980 and enjoying all of the paper memos instead of emails and such...but CALLING CARDS, and PLAYBILLS from 100 years ago?! Remind me to start saving some of these things now...

Catherine said...

Hey, girlies! I don't know how many, but I think Dr. Epperly is using a lot of those scrapbook images in her new book, so watch for that!