Friday, September 15, 2006

Is This The Scary Part?

I just applied for the Sustainable Building Design and Construction course at Fleming College.

Holy crap.

Applying isn't the scary part, really, is it? Getting accepted would be scarier. Going would be scarier.

The scariest part was the $85 application fee. That's about 12 hours of work for me, or three shifts.

Oh, that reminds me: I'm starting to work at Mavor's next week. Yesterday, I went out and bought 3 black shirts, which I have to wear as a uniform. I guess you have to spend money to make money, but I don't think this is what Donald Trump intended. Hell, this isn't what I intended.

I wanted to work only in at the café, but the Mavor's staff goes between the café and the restaurant, so I'll probably be waiting tables.

Could I be more stereotypical? A waitress with an MA? Thank god I didn't get my PhD!

3 comments:

Riko said...

Hi Catherine,

I'm now contemplating the path of environmentally sustainable building. And considering applying to the program at Flemming (provided I can pull the funds together, since Emily and I aren't working, yet). I wanted to work in construction before university, which is the reason I chose Civil Engineering as my program. I lost my way, trasferred to science, and studied psychology because I wanted to take a path where I felt I could make a difference in people's lives. Now I find myself thinking that maybe construction was a good path for me, but it was just the engineering that was wrong. Incorporating new (and some old) building techniques to improve the impact people have on the environment helps everybody. And I think it would make for an interesting career.

Catherine said...

Welcome, Rick!
I know what you mean - I want to help people, make money, and be proud of what I'm doing. I think helping people build environmentally-wise homes is a great path.

It might be a struggle, since it's still considered "alternative," but I want to try.

I'll let you know if I hear anything from Fleming. It all depends, they say, on how fast my McMaster transcript gets through. That shouldn't take too long, now, should it? :)

Holly said...

Don't worry. PhDs work at Chapters. I look forward to applying around 2009.