Thursday, August 24, 2006

Oh! Isn't She Polite!

People ask how you're doing a lot.

It's not until I don't even feel like lying and say "fine" that it's an issue.

Lately, I've been saying "I'm as well as can be expected, thank you for asking."

Unfortunately, most of the people who ask me how I'm doing are the at Confederation Centre and recognise that that's a quote from Anne of Green Gables, the Musical (tm), and then they think I'm lamer than I was to begin with.

I just hate lying to people, and answering "fine" to a question that should be answered (at most times), "on the verge of tears, thank you for asking," is even more taxing.

For those who are terribly worried about my well-being, things might be looking up. I might be taking a trip!

More later.

4 comments:

Lynda said...

There is nothing lame about quoting Anne. I find it quite endearing.

If you want to mix it up a bit, you could always say, "I'm well in body, although considerably rumpled in spirit, thank you."

Personally, I'm quite delighted when I can slip an Anne quote into everyday conversation. But of course, not everyone is as weird as I am.

Holly said...

I usually stick to "I'm well, thanks," referring to my physical health rather than mental state. This is usually true, and avoids the nasty feeling of disclosure and that I lie with "fine."

It is odd. Are we becoming so isolated as humans that such questions are just becoming rude?

Holly said...

And I must object... There is something lame about quoting Anne. Sorry.

Yet, is there a Maritimer alive who does not?

Proud to be Lame! Whoot!

Ben said...

Here's Ben rushing to Catherine's defense. No, there is NOTHING WRONG with quoting Anne--especially when she's relevant to the conversation, which is nearly always.

There--I said it.

Cate, hope these new changes lead you to where you want to be--you deserve to arrive there.