Saturday, August 12, 2006

Ding Dong.

I went to a wedding yesterday. It was my girlfriend Amanda’s. She’s now married to a German fellow she met while in grad school. His name is Marc, and he’s quite the cat.

I always get so exhausted thinking about weddings. It’s not the Sweet Family style to go in for big spectacles, so I always get tired with all the peripheral goings-on. This time, for Amanda’s goings-on, I had to work for both the bridal shower and the stagette, so I missed them. I caught the last hour or so of the shower, but after work. Happily, I was able to get the night off for the wedding proper.

The wedding was out at the Stella Maris RCChurch in North Rustico. It’s a lovely old wooden church.

I don’t know why I had in my head that is was going to be a huge wedding with hundreds of guests. Probably because Amanda is a Gallant from North Rustico. It was much smaller than that. There were probably “only” about 100-120 people around.

After the ceremony I started bugging the priest (Fr. Francis Jay) because I had questions about the tabernacle and other geeky things that I love asking members of the clergy about. He was a kind man and gave me his card, which has a picture of Pope John Paul II on it. He says he teaches adult education classes, and invited me to go, which I am interested in, but I’m afraid it would be a little apologetic.

Amanda’s parents finally built their dream house up in North Rustico. Often, the little scale model would be displayed at their house in Charlottetown. It’s so cool and surreal to see it in full size now. Well, directly after the wedding, we went there for finger foods and drinks. It’s a beautiful house, and even though they just moved in, it already feels like home.

The reception was in Charlottetown, and boy, what a spread. We had soup, salad, a turkey dinner, and chocolate mousse for dessert. I could have just eaten the stuffing and mousse and I’d’ve been happy. They cleared the dance floor and people started to bust a move.

I had to work early this morning, so I left at about midnight. Happily, I was driving, so I didn’t have the temptation of drinking too much.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Picturing Islanders busting a move... Oh my!