Friday, July 21, 2006

Pragmatism.

One of my constant struggles is balancing what I want with what I need. I'm better and better at not coveting items, because rationally I don't need them to be happy. Luckily, my lack of any considerable money is so prohibitative, it's not difficult to say no, and I don't have a choice but to adhere to my frugal philosophy.

It's now extending to food. I'm trying to consider my food choices nutritionally as opposed to gastronomically. I've also been trying to choose food more environmentally. I try to buy fruit and vegetables that are "products of Canada," to cut down on the energy used to transport them to me, and I've not been eating red meat for the last couple of months, because beef takes an incredible amount of energy to cultivate, prepare, and transport per protein ounce (as compared to other meats).

Now that I'm actually getting a paycheque from the Confederation Centre, I'm having a hard time not going clickety-click loco on J.Crew. But no. I want that money to pay down my student debt. In a few short months, I'll be able to buy myself a little bauble with money that I don't owe to someone else. A practical bauble.

In related news: I've decided to stop my subscription to InStyle magazine. "Because I enjoy it" no longer seems like a good enough reason.

4 comments:

Holly said...

That frugal air of the maritimes is starting to drain your soul.

marlibear said...

I'm glad my slogan of "Red meat sucks bums" has worn off on someone else in the family. It's only taken 12 years! This, of course, goes against Mike's slogan of "you don't make friends with salad." I don't agree, I'm sure I can make a lot of friends with salad. I simply need to cover it in meat juice.

Holly said...

That's my mother-in-law's secret salad recipe, too! Must be a PEI thing...

Catherine said...

For the record, I love red meat. It's just so good. It makes me feel strong and sturdy, like I could climb the outside wall of a vampire's castle with my bare hands. Alas, moo cows are grazing where the Amazon rainforest once stood, and their farts are heating the atmosphere (rivalled only by Dad's).