Sunday, March 05, 2006

Abbreviated Movie Appendix.

I’m stoked, of course, about the Oscars tonight. I know sometimes they’re “unfair” and have the nasty habit of awarding statues to actors not for the role nominated, but for some perceived slight from years past. It's one of those bittersweet traditions where you watch rich people being rich and not living up to your (oh-so-qualified) artistic expectations. It's a total spectacle and I'm totally all for it, which is just what people expect of me. I've been unhappy with the last few years' Oscars.

Not tonight, though. We’re going to see Clooney, and a lot of Clooney. Even if he doesn’t win (which he probably will just on odds), there’s be a camera crammed into his face each time they open an envelope. His beautiful, smile-lined, studly face. Clooney.

I already said that I’ve not seen all 5 best picture pics, so I can’t do a complete ordering, but here, out of four, is the order where I’d put my favourite movies.

1) Brokeback Mountain
2) Good Night, and Good Luck (pushed to #2 because of obvious reasons)
3) Crash
4) Capote

I was speaking with Sobia in Windsor earlier today, and I mentioned that this year, there’s not one movie that I’d be disappointed if it won (or some comment that’s more grammatically clear). It’s not like last year, where I was confused by the forgettable Finding Neverland being nominated for best pic. (Depp’s spell on the Academy? {Boy, I would have loved if he’d won Best Actor in the role of Captain Jack Sparrow!})

Maybe a movie retrospective in honour of the Oscars tonight? Sure. I’ve had this blog for about 16 months, so I’ve had some opinions on movies. Reading over some of them, I wasn’t always very focused on reviewing the movie itself. Ah well. I usually italisize movie titles, but for the sake of sparing you vertigo, I'll forgo.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Sideways
Donnie Darko (Gyllenhaal!)
Fever Pitch anticipation
Jimmy Fallon Anonymous Meetings
Fever Pitch
Clooney. I mean, Ocean’s Twelve
Ginger Snaps / Scary Movies/ Welcome to Collinwood
Walk the Line / The Squid and the Whale / Syriana / O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Newest P&P
Birth / New Goodbye Girl / Monsieur Verdoux
HPIV
Stay
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
What the Bleep Do We Know / Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith (The first time I saw it)
Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith (Second time.)
Dodgeball / I Robot
Million Dollar Baby
Phantom of the Opera
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Spanglish
Back to the Future

7 comments:

Holly said...

George Clooney is just John Stamos with better PR. If it were up to me, he'd still be Mrs. Garrett's handyman, and would feel lucky for the wage.

Long live Paul Giamatti!
Semper fi, little buddy.

Catherine said...

That is such bullshit. Clooney is a great talent. It took a lot of restraint not to delete that comment. End of discussion.

Honestly, it was a great surprise that Clooney won his best supporting actor. I thought Giamatti or Matt Dillon would take it.

Holly said...

At least Heath Ledger didn't get his...

Seriously. Heath Ledger, Oscar WINNER???

Think of that for a moment.

However, if one doughy and sweaty guy had to win the Oscar, I would have preferred Paul over Phillip, that's all.

And thank you for showing restraint.

Catherine said...

Of course! I am a restrained person. :)

You're right on the Heath Ledger call, despite him being fantastic in that role, it would be a little strange. I guess if Eminem has an Oscar, why shouldn't Pretty Boy (trying to disguise his pretty boyishness with some fugly facial hair)?

Holly said...

Frankly, I'm just not sure we'd any of us get over having to say, "Oscar winner Heath Ledger..."

What's next, "Oscar winner Brittney Spears"??

Ghastly.

mel said...

Ok, at this point I need to point out that Jamie Foxx was in a movie called "Booty Call" before he won an Oscar, and Hillary Swank used to be on 90210 back in the day. A 10 Things I Hate About You alumnist would not be that out of place in the Academy. All Oscar winners aren't as lucky as Jodie Foster to have had one of their first roles as a young actor to be in the likes of Taxi Driver.

That being said, I'm a much bigger fan of character actors than leading men, so good on Phillip Seymor Hoffman.

Catherine said...

I'll add that Reese Witherspoon was in "Little Nicky". Shudder.