Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Huzzah For Modern Dentistry

Today I got a filling. I haven't got a filling in years. To prove this, I remember I was reading a Seinfeld book. No, not "Seinlanguage," which I also liked, but some sort of NBC-sanctioned money-making time-waster.

I have always had a deep groove in the side of one of my molars, and of course, this is something my dentist has watched for years, being a primo bacteria breeding ground. There was no official cavity, but a shadow or cavity precursor on the x-ray, so, as I always say, better out than in.

She numbed my gums with cream anesthetic, and then the needle, which, thanks to the anesthetic, I didn't even feel. Then, the dental hygienist tried to install a dental dam, which she insisted on calling "the raincoat." Since my filling was to go in the very back molar, this whole thing began to resemble a Tom Green Show sketch.

Drill, drill. Buzz, buzz. My dentist is a lovely gentle professional, and the dental hygienist was nice, even though I don't think I knew her (she did know my Mum, though, bein' PEI 'n all). They used an ultra-violet light to harden my faux enamel. How cool is that? The whole thing took less than 45 minutes.

Now, 4 hours later, I barely know I've had anything done. Thank goodness it's now 2006 (!) and dentistry is a fairly painless undertaking. And, it only cost about $100. I know I'm unemployed, but that's a steal, right? I'll have one in every colour!

5 comments:

Holly said...

I have to admit that $100 would be a steal for just a cleaning, let alone a filling. Dentists are gouges in more ways then one.

Catherine said...

Uh, yeah, the cleaning was another $100. Less of a steal if you combine the two, but it's worth that smooooth feeling of cleaned and polished teeth.

Krista Sparkles said...

Sounds pretty antiquated to me. My dentist uses a 'sandblast' system that just blasts the cavity away - no freezing, no drilling. The worst of it is you feel a bit like you have a mouth full of sawdust.

mel said...

I had a dentist appointment over the break and I got an even better deal. Apparently my insurance only covers metal fillings on my back teeth, but she gave me the white ones for the price of the metal. It was like, half the price. You know it's a slow day when that's the highlight.

Catherine said...

Kris - yeah, I guess dentistry in Upper Canada is more advanced than we folk in the Maritimes, but this is not totally unexpected, eh?

Mel - I don't think white fillings aren't worth celebrating. Last time, I wasn't given a choice, so now I have a filling in each shade. Ebony and ivory...