Monday, November 21, 2005

Let's Get Crack-a-Lackin!

I spent the weekend at Marilyn's again, helping her do research at the National Archives. It's really cool there - there are records of everything! There's a huge genealogy section, and a philately section, too! Marilyn is working on a paper about Canadian Mennonites and their role as conscientious objectors in the second World War. She found a load of letters written from Mennonites asking about their rights and the responses from the government departments. The government was surprisingly sensitive to their belief systems.

On Saturday I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for the first time (there will be more). I was fair apoplectic beforehand, and Melanie was my calm and understanding date. (It had to be with a Confed. Centre girl, you know?) I really enjoyed this movie. There were no house elves, no SPEW, and Cedric Diggory was prefectly cast (i.e. too pretty for words). It was sad and scary and funny and I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that I will be marrying Daniel Radcliffe and I don't care how society shuns us, we're in love and we don't care what people think.

Finally: Beware President's Choice brand Fat-Free Chocolate Gelato. It's dark and thick like fudge and pretty darn good, but if you eat more than 1/2 a cup, it sits at the bottom of your stomach like a brick. Could it be the three different types of "gum" listed in the ingredients? Perhaps.

13 comments:

Holly said...

My favourite is "Guar gum."

Where are you and Daniel registered? Toys R Us?

Catherine said...

Oh, excellent burn, Ms. Pearse, excellent. Capital... capital.

mel said...

In that case, I'll be attending the ceremony with Emma Watson. And I can't judge you since I think I was the one that muttered "oh my" when Harry was in the prefect's bathroom. That teenager is ripped.

Holly said...

See, I coulda gone my whole life without knowing what that kid looked like under his clothes...

Holly said...

And thank you for the recognition of my burn. As my tastes prove, I am not a prude about age difference. (Oh, Charlie, someday we'll meet in the Great Beyond...)

However, I couldn't let that one go to waste.

Erin said...

Incidentally, I work in a hotel (The Great George) and I checked your aunt and uncle in this evening. They were a bit surprised I knew you.

Catherine said...

OK, in my defence, I said "oh my" not because his naked body got me hot - if anything, I kinda grossed myself out because HE'S SO YOUNG! - but I thought it was racy, if not necessary. And he is NOT ripped! He's a sunken-chested little Brit! Well, maybe he was ripped, I dunno. I didn't really look - it didn't seem proper.

Holly said...

In comparison, however, a lamp post may be considered ripped for a Brit, particularly a CHILD Brit.

mel said...

The kid was pretty buff, I stand by my remark. 16 year old boys rate at about the bottom of my turn on list, so don't be grossed out, I'm just sayin' is all. I didn't think it was that inappropriate, it was an important scene for the story. What *was* creepy and unecessary was moaning murtle coming onto him so blantently. *shudder*

Catherine said...

I agree wholeheartedly that the Moaning Myrtle exchange went a little too long. It was AWKWARD.

Catherine said...

And thanks for having my back, Mel. Don't worry, Holls, you'll still be invited to the wedding. If his parents say it's alright.

Laura said...

Try going to SEE the movie with a sixteen year old boy! Why, why must they ruin much anticipated movies with inappropriate comments?! The eleven year old was much better- a good mix of budding criticism and absolute enchantment!

Holly said...

Parental consent, huh? That might be difficult... I suggest just moving to Kentucky where you wouldn't need it.

I'll bring Jello pudding and some pop rocks, so the groom won't be bored at the kiddy table.