Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Thrill Is Not Gone.

I don’t know what I think about this whole "being alone at Hallowe’en" thing. I can’t believe how many scary movies and shows’ specials are on. Now, I’m watching the Canadian (apparently) good horror/social commentary film Ginger Snaps. It’s funny and gory, but I don’t know if I’ll watch the whole thing. The Simpsons' Hallowe’en Specials are on ad nauseum, and there were back-to-back specials from That 70s Show (which is scary enough, even without the Hallowe’eny spin). Almost all the usual movies are being paraded out: Blair Witch, the Scream Trilogy, The Shining, anything with the word "Haunted" in it, so on…

I like scary movies. Sorta. They’re fun and corny. They prey on you; thrill you in a very basic way. Unfortunately, that thrill doesn’t leave me when the credits roll. Now, being alone in the house again, every little noise and shift is obviously a deranged violent sex-starved werewolf Evangelist vampire accountant Conservative Party B&Eer. (I just strung together a ton of things that scare me most.) I’ve taken to sleeping with a pillow over my head to muffle any little noises. It's cozy.

To the totally not scary side of the spectrum, I just finished watching Welcome to Collinwood, the first film of George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh’s production company, Section Eight Films. It wasn’t so terrible, but I would not recommend it. Sam Rockwell was in it, so there’s a plus, also with some appearances from the ever-divine Mister Clooney himself. Clooney!

10 comments:

Holly said...

That's it. I'm confiscating your remote. It's for your own good.

Catherine said...

I am so fucked for sleeping tonight. I just watched the last 1/2 hour of "Ringu," the Japanese original of "The Ring." Jibbly jibbly.

Holly said...

No more, now. I'm serious...
I hope you at least have a teddy bear or something.

Catherine said...

Coonie!

Holly said...

Good, cause I was gonna send you G'illa if you needed him... FedEx.

Christine said...

Ringu??? dude, I watched about 2 minutes of that before I tore my own eyes out from fear.
Go rent something with snoopy in it, stat!

Catherine said...

Yeah, The Ring messed me up for a while, so I was careful while watching Ringu. Jibbly.

Catherine said...

Maybe I should rent Constantine. It looks good.

Christine said...

I'm telling ya, snoopy is the ticket out of scary town. It is physically impossible to be frightened while watching the Snoopy gang.

Holly said...

That's not true at all. The clearly abusive home life that Pig Pen lives is pretty disturbing.