Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Freddy v. Bowie.

This might be a little macabre, but think about it:

If you had the power both to travel back in time and the power to decide who lives and dies, would Freddy Mercury have survived and David Bowie gone on to the great spaceship in the sky? Or, would things have stayed the same?

The thing is, David Bowie is cool and all... Yeah, he's a style icon... But have you ever actually listened to his music? I tried - I did, but I cannot transport myself to a time and place where Bowie's music is good. But, Freddy Mercury just plain-out rocked. Queen was awesome. Queen is awesome. I know he would have continued to rock had he not died. That gets in the way of genius.

This question has been bumping around in my head for a while. I didn't just randomly hear Under Pressure or anything - I hear it all the time. It's a miracle of rock! Go listen to it right now. Go listen to it, and then ponder who you wish was alive - Freddy or Bowie.

14 comments:

Christine said...

I don't think I even know you. Bowie rocks. And why on earth would you have to kill the Thin White Duke in order to not have Mercury die? What twisted universe do you live in? Our friendship is totally over.

Catherine said...

I stand by my choice. Take that as you will.

Christine said...

yeah. friendship totally over.

Holly said...

Can't we just take DNA from both and make a hybrid rocker?

Christine said...

Alright. My roommate just agreed with you, so now i'm down another friendship. How many lives are you willing to ruin Catherine?!

Catherine said...

Ok, no Mercury-Bowie Frankenstein monster. William Hung will come out. No, no, no.

We can agree to disagree about who gets to live and who gets to die (one more reason monothesism might be a better system)?

For the record, Mercury should be re-animated. Maybe I'll let Bowie live, but Mercury should not have died.

Holly said...

Frankly, I'd give both of them to have Sammy Davis Jr back.

Catherine said...

Just no Al Jolsen, for Christine's sake.

Holly said...

Hey- it's not my problem if Jolson turns into a spider and occasionally wanders into Christine's dreams. I mean, he's got to do something to fill up his afterlife.

Christine said...

that really was a disturbing dream. and have you seen bride of reanimator? she couldn't sing worth shit. re-animating corpses is generally not the answer to solving life's problems.

Christine said...

I just had a little shudder over the jolson spider

Catherine said...

Your shudder makes me laugh.

mel said...

Have you been thinking about this all day since our conversation last night? You do need a job :P

Catherine said...

This has been in my mind for a while, but I didn't think it was blog-worthy until last night.