Thursday, February 03, 2005

Feeling Better About Being Wretched.

Once again, Sex and the City has given me some insight. No, it’s not about pear-cut diamond rings or post-it notes, but this time about my single life.

I’ve been kinda sour this year at all the presents that my sister has been getting because she’s now married. She didn’t have a big wedding at all, and accordingly, she didn’t get a dumpload of gifts, but it’s the little extras she gets because now the Crown gives her tax credits. Nothing changed in her life except the fact that she doesn’t check the “single” box on questionnaires anymore.

I had realized before that this was petty and stupid, but now I see that it’s more the fact that I will not be recognized in ways that she is.

It’s not that I don’t want to celebrate when people I love have a big event, it just sucks that I’m out of the loop. Carrie wrapped it up very well. She was discussing how people get recognized for some of their life choices and not for others.

Carrie:
“If I don’t ever get married or have a baby? What? I get bubkis? Think about it. If you are single, after graduation there isn't one occasion where people celebrate you. ... Hallmark doesn't make a "congratulations, you didn't marry the wrong guy" card. And where's the flatware for going on vacation alone?”

Think on that. I have.

2 comments:

Lady K said...

I feel ya on that one.

mel said...

EVERYDAY is single's day!! Have a special day whenever you want man.