Thursday, January 13, 2005

Life Aquatic.

So yeah, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou last night. I'd like to quote from rottentomatoes.com. This quote will be the touchstone for this review.

"Your whimsy tolerance will be tested." Boo Allen, Denton Record Chronicle.

It just seemed to be a series of strange behaviour strung together. I like Bill Murray, I like Owen Wilson, I like Cate Blanchett, but I really think Angelica Houston is magnificent. She's such an elegant and powerful woman. It's cool to watch her move.

Anyhow, if you're a diehard Anderson fan, or any of those listed above, I'd say go to a matinee, but don't pay full weekend prices. There were some beautiful locations and a stellar hero shot at the end, but I think I'll give it a meh overall.

This makes me think that I should develop a rating system for my reviews. It'd go something like this:

1)Recommend it to strangers in the street
2)Highly recommend to friends
3)I'm seeing it more than once in theatres
4)Recommend it to friends
5)Recommend it to fans of the actor/director/story, etc.
6)Meh -- see it but I'm not responsible
7)Wait for video
8)Don't bother seeing it on video
9)Letters to the editor about how bad this movie was
10)Picketing against the movie outside the theatre

This is a loose mock-up of my review structure. It might be tweaked in the future. I see now why some hacks stick to the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" structure. It can get complicated.

No comments: